Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Grocestapo

The Grocestapo is the elderly gentleman in the grocery store who glares at you if you speak too loudly, or angrily scolds kids who run. To him, a grocery store has many unwritten rules of conduct, and he plans to enforce them... even the ones only he knows... which is most of them... or all of them.


"You have to buy any loaf of bread you touch," an old man once tried to teach me when I decided I'd rather go with the sourdough. I didn't listen to him, because the Grocestapo has no authoritative power. He's just an angry, old jerk.

After that many years of people running into you with grocery carts, and seeing your favorite brands and products discontinued, I suppose it's no wonder there's a Grocestapo in every grocery store I've ever been to.

Should you be wearing slippers in a grocery store, Grocestapo? Seems like you'd be on top of something like that.

10 comments:

Adrian Ropp said...

Sigh... Sometimes I think I'm the next Grocestapo in training. I hate when people change loafs.

Wonderful drawing as usual, you jerk.

Blogerts said...

How about you have to buy anything you come within 5 feet of with those nasty germ slipper feet?

Tyler Stott said...

he sure likes his fruits and vegetables...
...nice lil story you got goin there. great work


remember not to run in the grocery store.

Audrey said...

hahahaaa! This rocks!

Jed Henry said...

he should just skip all the fresh fruit and get some prunes. that might help his up tight mood. who knows, maybe grocestapo is that easily cured...

Sam Nielson said...

You've got some really awesome stuff here! I especially like your commentary on the drawings.

Unknown said...

fantastic blog and inspirational designs! Added a link to you if you dont mind...

Valérie Williams said...

I see these kind of people ALL the time. No matter how nice you are, they always find a way to complain! :P

Kevin Keele said...

Wow, I work with so many people I don't know. I really enjoy your work, this is a very entertaining blog.

P A R I D H I.P said...

hey Shane,
i must tell u that ur blog is just amazing...
all of ur characters are really really,very cool.
especially i love ur rendering style.i truely enjoy watching ur blog...after mine.

paridhi.