Thursday, June 15, 2006

Pinocchio

Last night I saw a special on TV: AFI's 100 Years... 100 Cheers. It was the American Film Institute's countdown of the most inspiring films of all time. And of the 100 movies on the list, only one was animated. You've probably figured out which movie that is already, because you're a genius, and also because I've provided a few subtle hints. That's right... wedged in there between Forrest Gump and Star Wars at #38 was my favorite movie ever: Pinocchio!

Pinocchio was REALLY inspiring to me on a personal level. Every kid loves cartoons, but that movie was the one that made me never out-grow them. Everyone I know who works in animation has a movie or a cartoon that inspired them to get into that field. Pinocchio is mine. I love it! The story, the animation, the backgrounds, the music... all wonderful! The first CD I ever owned was the Pinocchio soundtrack. Second... John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together.

In case you're interested, the full list is available on
AFI's site. Number one on the list was It's a Wonderful Life.
I guess I can accept that, even though it's no Pinocchio. Also worth noting... I hit the list at #53. Dead Poet's Society is more inspiring than me? Hardly.

2 comments:

Adrian Ropp said...

Considering that "Good Burger" was #14, I think you should watch a different show to rate your movies.

Carolyn Coote said...

Pinocchio is as cool as you say. The kids in the double unit have been listening to the classic by Collodi. We are going to show them Roberto Benignni's version some time this week.