Monday, March 17, 2008

Piggy-Back Ride

It's been a while since I did a drawing video, so I put this one together to appease the more-than-twelve people who like them. I probably should have put some thought into what I should draw before my pencil hit the paper. Clearly I didn't, and I came up with this unexpected result... a cowboy bear, swinging a lasso, riding a small pig through the desert. My goal for my next drawing video is to not include any pigs or bears, but so far I've learned that pigs and bears are what I draw when I draw without thinking. I like not thinking... it's how I roll.

In a piggyback ride, is the "piggy" the carrier or the rider? Why are either of them the piggy? That style of carrying isn't pig-like at all. It should be called "gorilla-back riding" or "koala-back riding," because gorillas and koalas sometimes carry their young on their backs. That's not how pigs carry each other. In fact, pigs don't carry each other at all. They wallow lazily. "Piggy-back ride" should be the term for tripping over someone who's lying lifelessly on the ground or in a gutter.

18 comments:

Jason Newkirk said...

this is great..Fun to watch you draw!

Dillon Thompson said...

Have you ever ridden a pig? Until then, lets not be to hard on the "piggy back ride".

Please keep posting the videos. I am number 13 that watches.

Seth Hippen said...

If this is what you do when you're not thinking, you should not think more often. It was fun to watch you draw, except I kept wanting to fix the way you were holding that pencil. You're very good, sir. Thanks for the inspiration.

PeterRabbit said...

Freaking fantastic! You're an inspiration!

Seriously, I want very much to make vids like this! I'm thinking of putting together time-lapse vids of me drawing my animation, shooting it on my animation stand, and then pulling it all together on DigiCel.

For the music on one of them, I've had this idea to mix together different versions of "Mad About Me," the jizz music played by Bith musicians in the cantina sequence of the original Star Wars film.

Please tell me, how do you set up your camera like that? And how do you put the music in there?

TheStewside said...

I like the picture and the video is amazing. It makes me realize how much I suck at any kind of art.

J Chad Erekson said...

I'd forgotten that you hold a pencil really funky, it works for you. Fun stuff

Sebastien Gallego said...

Awesome video Shane! The result is still magical.

Sarah said...

I think koala-back ride is a far more apt name for what it is than piggy-back ride. Good call on that one.
I don't accept offers of piggy-back rides from my husband anymore. Being dropped twice was plenty of trauma... in his defense, the grass was slick from rain both times.

Great video, Shane!

Anonymous said...

Please make more videos, they're awesome! Although, I would love to see more in detail the inking/coloring process.

Anonymous said...

Dude, these vids are awesome. I love watching other artists' techniques. Especially when they're good. So, yeah. Nice.

JAKE WYATT said...

Thank you, Mr. Lewis, for confronting this disturbing incongruity in the vernacular. Hats off, sir.

Karalenn Hippen said...

Well that was fun. I think I'll watch it again. I can see why Seth was inspired to draw a bear tonight after looking at your blog.

Patrick said...

Great work as usual!

Joseph Lee said...

Love the attitude to these characters! Great job!

Ken Chandler said...

You do amazing things with a 2-D image Shane! Love the video, but like Seth, I find myself wanting to adjust the pencil. Where did you learn to draw like that... no, it's better not to know. Your skills are remarkable. That's all I need to know.

Jörn said...

Maaaan, that's great entertainment! And what a soundtrack ...

Jeff Harter said...

Hey, Great idea! That was fun to watch.

Kimberland said...

This is by far one of the best things I've seen on you tube! Kudos! Beautiful work!
~Kimber