Monday, January 22, 2007

The Ugly Duckling

Why did the other ducks target one as the "ugly duckling?" Aren't ALL ducks ugly? Never in my life have I seen even one attractive duck. Fortunately I don't really look at them that way. If I ever see a duck that strikes me as "really hot," then I've got problems.

If you're familiar with the story, you already know that (spoiler warning) the "duckling" is actually a swan. I didn't draw him that way here... mine is more of a (spoiler warning) mallard. So apparently ducks aren't only ugly, they're also a little bit dumb and species-recognition-challeged. And that's the ugliest ugly there is.

The ugliest duck is an actual duck... unless he's a duckling, because baby everythings are at least a little bit cute, even if admitting that takes me one step closer to a problem area I noted previously.

13 comments:

Patrick said...

the middle duck could almost pass as a zombie duck... that would make a great movie... Dawn of the Dead Ducks!

Tim Bye said...

Funny picture! Those ducks are crazy!

Jedora Rules said...

I don't know about hot ducks, but Jessica Rabbit wasn't half bad.

Adrian Ropp said...

Never in my life have I seen even one attractive duck.

Are you kidding me? What about Daisy Duck? She's totally smokin'. Well, I'm off to see my therapist.

Blogerts said...

(spoiler warning) Shane's nuts.

sarah said...

Sweet ugly duck art :)

Jarrett said...

Lovin' these designs, Shane! The colors as well. I love your take on the story haha. btw I'll have your link back up. I have a bunch I lost when I changed my template. No worries. I'm a horrible procrastinator.

Unknown said...

always fun! Love how the guy on the end is pointing off screen. I almost choked laffing!!!

Karalenn Hippen said...

Oh joy! I was so excited at first to see a new picture and then dread came over me because I realized you captured the "neighborhood bullies" of my childhood perfectly- Gary and Terry Thurber (stinkin’ brothers) and Butch Kingston. They use to chase me on my bike when I would collect for my paper route and put sticks in the spokes of my tires to make me flip over. So I guess if that was them I would be that poor ugly mallard. Oh well, I guess I'll turn into a swan? Was that the moral of the story?

Your drawing is great! I love the fat one to the right (I’ve named him Terry) and the one on the left’s eyes make me happy (he’s Gary BTW). I always love reading your train-of-thoughts! Wacky and fun.

woody_germ said...

I love your blog shane, and I love this piece here.

Anonymous said...

Hey that one right there's got my two front teeth! The third duck. (note from Kenzie's mom- she's talking about the one on the right- Terry) I did it! Last night I pulled out my other front tooth when I was in a time out! hahaha I like those ducks. I don't think the little duck is ugly. He's cute.

Jed Henry said...

I really enjoy how ugly these things are. Great variation on a theme, and with the same unifying style. You have fun designs, Shane. How goes working at Avalanche? Sp?

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha. this one VERY funny. rofl :-D