Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Man's Best Friend?

Man's best friend... is that what dogs are? Then explain what happens to my so-called "best friend" when he stops in front of the TV on a big 4th-and-inches play. Let's be honest... man's best friend is food, then TV, then football, then football on TV, followed by cars, naps, video games, airplanes, model trains, and so on. Based on my findings, dogs are wedged way down the list somewhere between "chopping down trees" and "buying a new belt."

I'm just kidding - I like dogs. In many ways a dog is just a football with a tongue. They share the same blank stare, I've tripped over both in the dark, and loads of frustration can be instantly relieved by punting one over the neighbor's fence. Relax, everyone... if the dog didn't want to be kicked, he wouldn't have looked so much like a kicking tee. Relax again... I didn't kick any dogs, and I don't endorse it in any way outside of its obvious "blogging shock value" purposes. After all - dogs are my 185th best friend.

More NFL Playoffs this weekend... go Chargers! Every time I say "go" about anyone, they immediately lose. Call your bookie.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

hahah too funny! You image ( as well as your writing )is superb. I envy your talent!

And remind me to never ask you to cheer me on..

Sam Nielson said...

Funny picture and post. And I happen to agree, about the satisfaction of punting both over a fence.

Jarrett said...

That dog is SO a football dog. Man, you've just drawn the "dog that is football." I love this! Great design. And like you it's too early for creative sayings haha. Cya round, Shane.

Joe said...

Nice dog. What is football?

Adrian Lubbers said...

Very insightful indeed. I find though that the dogs are more like my girlfriends....the more I play with them the easier they are to control.hahahahahaha...It's a joke people.

Tim Bye said...

I love the dogs expression - vacant but happy! Great pic!

Sebastien Gallego said...

Yeap! Great expression and great design Shane!

Unknown said...

The solution to man's best friend standing in front of the television is to purchase man's second best friend: a Tivo!

Ryan Wood said...

Funny stuff, Mr. Lewis! I like the way this one is rendered, especially the dog.

Richtoon said...

Great expression!

Anonymous said...

ROFLOL! Seriously Shane...your blog is always my comic relief. Love this. You and Chas have the same list of "best friends." However, as much as Chas loves food, I would have to say that sports IN GENERAL would probably even come BEFORE food on his list. The guy's a nut. Love this drawing....so funny. Love the look in his eyes. Crazy how you are able to capture that. LOVE IT!

Adrian Ropp said...

Great drawing, but I have to say this is your most perplexing prose to date. YOu're all over the place on dogs. And footballs. The only thing consistent here is your opinion about TV. And something tells me you've never even considered kicking one of those.

sarah said...

Those are some fine football/dog comparisons :)

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Top work !! Lovely job on this character !!