Thursday, July 13, 2006

Missing Disneyland

In the last decade I've had five or six annual passes to Disneyland. One year when I was a student at BYU, I went to Disneyland 30 times. That's right... the BYU that's in Utah. And yet somehow I managed to spend a whole month of that year at Disneyland? Obviously I like it... or at least more than I like scholarly achievement.

So how is it that it's already July, and I still haven't been there yet in 2006? Now that I'm a cast member, I don't even have to pay to get in! What's my deal? I still have to hold off a couple more months. The heat and the crowds of summer aren't for me. But as soon as kids are back in school and we get some Fall-ish weather... there I'll be.

Here are a couple of pictures I took a while back on a rainy day at Disneyland. The one above was taken at about 5:00. I'd never seen Main Street so empty in the middle of the day. Rain does that. The one below was taken as my brother-in-law and I left the park about ten minutes after the rides closed... and NO ONE was left! Normally they leave the stores open for a while, but that night everything was locked and closed. I stopped to take a picture... I'd never seen so much of Disneyland empty. Not even a street sweeper?

To sum up - I miss Disneyland. Not "I'm Miss Disneyland." If there is such a pageant, I've never competed in it... much less won it. I need to get back to Disneyland soon, before I lose the little bit of "mind" I have left.

10 comments:

Adrian Ropp said...

Even though we talk every week, some days I don't IM you because I just assume it's been a couple of weeks and you're at Disneyland. If you ever disappear for a week and someone calls me to see if you're with me, I just tell them you're in Disneyland. You'll probably be in a ditch somewhere in need of medical attention, but I have to play the odds.

This is crazy! I feel bad for you and I havent' been to the park for NINE YEARS!!!!!!!! I hear the number one cause of Disneyland Decline, or DD as it is called in the medical community, is giant televisions.

Now who's jealous?

Joe Fowler said...

First off, yes, you ARE Miss Disneyland... and second, wanna go out some time, cutie?

Joe said...

I have only been to Disneyland once in my life. I can't believe that you have been that many times. You have visited Disneyland more that I have visited my own grandma.

Adam Ford said...

I don't know if you're blog is for just ANYONE to comment on, but I thought I'd take a kuh~whack at it...
I think I only have one memory of disneyland as I think I've been to it once...I went there...say some stuff...left. That wasn't even the exciting part though (big surprise), actually it was later when I got back and realized I'd lost my bear and then recieved a package 2 weeks later with a letter from "Mickey Mouse" saying he found "this" and though I'd want it back...sure enough, the bear.
Years may pass and perhaps people will keep saying bad things about Disney(whatever it mite be) but...they won't get it. I mean, COME ON...who goes out of their way to write a letter to a kid playing as mickey mouse just to send a stuff animal back to him?
That's heart sir...true, heart.
Excuse me, i think I have something in my eye...

Say you're stuff and the rest of the "crew" on Illustration Friday. Just thought I'd say,"Nice".

Anonymous said...

Kenz:
Hey let's go to Disneyland together! Hu, Shane? C'mon! Let's go someday. We can't do it today 'cause it's Sunday after church, so we'll do it another day. I hope that we'll see each other again some day.

Kare:
It sounds like a romance novel!

Kenz:
MOM! If you ever say that again I'll break this popsicle stick right now.

Audrey said...

I went once. And I remember some glowing roses, but even now the pirates ride is a faded memory. Is this a sin? Alas- to have a free ticket and compete in the Miss Disneyland contest! I envy your opportunities... :)

S.T. Lewis said...

First of all, thank you all for your comments. And secondly - that conversation between Kenz and Kare... classic! We'll definitely go to Disneyland with you again Kenzie! We'll let you know when.

Kevin Keele said...

I share your love of Disneyland, I've been at least once (if not 3 or 4 times) a year for as long as I can remember, and usually as an annual pass holder as well. These are some beautiful pictures of your second home.

Ben Reynolds said...

cool pics man! I havent been to disney world or land since i was 7! Beat that. And i LIVE in Florida now. i really should go....

Anonymous said...

I miss Disneyland, too! :/