Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Mad Tea Party

I was always confused as a kid by the way the tea party in Alice in Wonderland was referred to as "mad." Mad? Those guys didn't seem mad at all. They tipped the scales on "crazy," but I never saw them as being mad. Later in life I learned that "mad" can also mean "crazy." Synonyms... yet another way language has managed to vex me.

When languages were originally developed, couldn't we have just made up an entirely new word for each new thing? Theodor Geisel got his doctorate in making up words, so I know there's potential for lots more of them than we're using. We needn't be giving multiple meanings to the few we have. I still giggle when Gene Autry insists that I be "merry and gay" each Christmas. Synonymns make me mad... by which I mean both "angry" and "nutty."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

no matter how I slice it though there I always come back to " inspirational "

drives me mad.....

brilliant as always Mr Lewis!

Richard Gaines said...

The likenesses of the characters are great! I wish all mad people acted like this....so, at least we'd have a little more happiness in the world!

The Jorgensen's said...

I completely feel the same was and had many of the same confusing moments in my childhood as well.

Karalenn Hippen said...

Oh the many silly pet peeves you have to rant about... Well I'm glad you do, so I can have a laugh. I've just never considered some of them. It's a great drawing and the one above as well. I just love that mountain lion character and the look on his face. Don't know if it's a pet peeve when people write a comment for two of your posts in one. Guess I'll find out soon. :)