Saturday, July 07, 2007

Classic Peter Pan

I stumbled upon this gem while looking through some old boxes. It was probably drawn around the same time as the Pinocchio sketch I posted a while back. There are several things about this one that I consider worthy of my own praise. For instance, the crocodile's wandering eye... that's a nice touch. Also, the crocodile's other wandering eye... equally stellar. The leaf on Captain Hook's hat is an interesting twist. Then there's Mr. Smee, striking an impressively flamboyant pose there in the background. But I think my favorite thing about the whole glorious image is Peter Pan's double-jointed knee... or his dislocated hip... or his badly twisted ankle. Whatever it is, I'm going to consider it the highest level of dexterity ever seen in the history of artistry.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFLOL! K...that knee on Peter Pan is both hilarious and kinda gross. LOL! I can't believe how killer even these early drawings are. You can tell that your were BORN with a serious gift that you have worked hard at mastering. You've got major talent!

Jon Engle said...

Oh man! That Mr. Smee is the best thing I've seen all day. I wonder what people will think of me when I start using that pose for all of my photos from now on.... Classic. :)

Anonymous said...

Is Peter Pan supposed to be levitating in mid air? 'Cause if he is, then never mind.

This actually gives me hope that I might be able to draw well in the future. Look at you now.

Then again, I probably couldn't even draw this, and I'm seventeen. I might have some catching up to do.

Piotr said...

pure gold! i burst out laughing! you did capture the scene well though!

L. D. Torres said...

your best work yet!

Anonymous said...

I just remembered Peter Pan can fly.

Boy did I make a Disney faux pas!

Ron Jensen said...

Well you have definitely gotten better at drawing, that’s a plus.

Joe said...

I love seeing what people used to draw. Maybe I should post some drawings from my younger years.

Dave Dick said...

That's hilarious!

Laura Williams said...

I love your commentary, but you failed to mention the dynamic layout. The proper balancing of positive and negative space and the arrangement of the characters with regards to their surroundings. Truly masterful :)

Ken Chandler said...

Beautiful and inspiring Shane! Seeing your work then and now gives me hope. I too can one day be an artist. Thanks for sharing!

Todd Oman said...

Let the bidding start at one million, this is awesome.

Lauren said...

This is so far beyond most of the crap I draw TODAY! And, yes, Mr. Smee IS fabulous.

RichVintage said...

I love the hyperextended knee. adds character. Two wandering eyes. Clever.

Joe Fowler said...

Holy crap Shane, I don't care what you drew in collage there is no way you know this many people!

Way to use blogger to catch friends!

Oh, yeah, how've you been?