Sunday, June 17, 2007

Ratatouille

Saturday night there was a sneak preview of PIXAR’s newest film, Ratatouille. Anyone who knows me will already know that I was there. There are probably bigger fans of PIXAR than I am, but aside from John Lasseter, I don’t know any. You know what I just realized? I haven’t sent a portfolio to PIXAR in more than a year. Either I really like my job or I’ve gotten lazy... probably a combination of the two.

We got to the movie over an hour early so we could have any seat in the theater... and we got the best seats there... in the center of the back row. Back row? Exactly. Then everyone who talks during the movie is facing away from me... no one can kick my seat... things like that. Why be surrounded by idiots when the back row offers a boundary from them on at least one side?

Now, don’t worry - I know Ratatouille hasn’t been released yet, so I’m not going to give anything away. All I’ll say about it is that Pixar is 8-for-8... a fine start for a movie studio. Lots of studios are making animated films, but only one of them has never messed up. Pixar’s incredible! Honestly, I loved it before I even saw it because Brad Bird’s a genius, Pixar’s story people are the best there are (better than me? what?), and John Lasseter... well, if I love him so much, why don't I marry him? I can think of several undeniable reasons, but he's awesome. So I went into it with insanely high expectations... and I still wasn't disappointed.

The animation blew my mind. Remy's only communication with Linguini was through gesturing and expressions... and that takes a lot of thought and work. And making Linguini look like he was moving against his will couldn't have been easy... and kind of goes against everything I learned in animation classes and books. It all looked beautiful! You know what... just go see it... June 29th. It's another great movie that everyone will love forever... or at least I will. Hooray for PIXAR and the way they saved animation several years back... and for continuously adding more classics to the history of animated movies. If any PIXAR people read this... thanks. You're the best!

And just one more thing for the movie-going public... if you have to text message during the film, maybe you’re too important to see a movie in the first place. If your wife is about to give birth and you’re expecting a call, maybe you shouldn’t be at a movie either. The technology that offers you enough light to see who’s calling you or to read the text message you just received is the same technology that is blinding everyone behind you. They may not say it or do it, but everyone wants to punch you in the back of the head. Just a head’s up.

8 comments:

Ken Chandler said...

Thanks for the glowing review Shane. I was already so looking forward to this story-- it just looks GOOD. I didn't want it to be their first bad movie. That would have been a crime. Can't wait for the June 29 release, especially now that I know it's going to be great. I'm not sure I'll like it more than The Incredibles (possibly my all- time favorite movie), but based on the trailer on Apple Trailers (the 9 minute one), it's going to be awesome!

Anonymous said...

hello, I my name is nOObeH, I have 20 years, and I'm Italian, and I little have uncovered yours blog from and task that is spectacular!also I design , and would make appeals to me if you come to find to me in mine blog! for knowing what of tasks!.. http://noobeh.splinder.com ..ancora complimenti!sei best! thanks

p.s.

Titus Todd said...

I'm also a big Pixar and Lasseter fan. I'm looking forward to Lasseter's influence on Disney Animation.

Thanks for the review and endorsement of Ratatouille. Talk is that Disney is already trying to reduce expectations for the opening numbers. Maybe with some word of mouth, people will get out and see this movie.

Anonymous said...

"And just one more thing for the movie-going public... if you have to text message during the film, maybe you’re too important to see a movie in the first place. If your wife is about to give birth and you’re expecting a call, maybe you shouldn’t be at a movie either. The technology that offers you enough light to see who’s calling you or to read the text message you just received is the same technology that is blinding everyone behind you. They may not say it or do it, but everyone wants to punch you in the back of the head."

Amen ! I've told managers at movie theaters that I'd pay extra if they'd guarantee to have real ushers who would come in and remove people who use their cell phones during the movie, talk loudly all through the movie or won't remove their screaming children , etc. The theater managers just look at me with glazed-over eyes, like : "Huh? Whatza problem?"

Then I remember: they're in business to sell Coke and popcorn and $3.00 bottled water , they couldn't care less whether my experience watching the actual movie is enjoyable or not.

Vigilante justice is the only way, my friends ! ;-)

Plus, I do the same thing as you: I stake out a prime seat on the very back row.

I was at one of the Saturday night preview screenings in my town and ,yes, "Ratatouille" is wonderful ! I'm eager to see it again when it goes into wide release on June 29. It's 100% Pure™ (heh-heh) animation magic.

David Dunn said...

Ratatouille was AMAZING! I saw it last Saturday too, and was blown away. Definately the best movie of the year.

Audrey said...

what a treat it was...literally- I saw a special screening here at disney and I was blown away...nice work here- it's cool you keep up this joint. way inspiring- latas! :)

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie and bought it the day it came out. I completely agree with you! Fabulous Blog.

hanum said...

great animation movie, more advice contained. Good.. good..