Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Shark Anatomy

Shark experts commonly insist that sharks don't target humans or even want to eat us.  I guess that's kind of comforting... until you're watching Shark Week and a great white repeatedly attacks a camera, some steel beams, and a Styrofoam seal. Did he want to eat that stuff?  I can't imagine any of those items were seal-flavored, yet that shark kept returning to bite them again and again.

The truth is that sharks will eat anything they find in the ocean, so if you're a thing in the ocean, a shark will eat you.  As it turns out, they're not all that discriminatory when it comes to what they will or won't eat, so don't try to comfort me by pointing out that I'm not a shark's preferred meal or that I'm not the delicious sea creature he's mistaken me for.  Hearing that a shark doesn't want to eat me is as comforting as hearing that a tornado doesn't want to destroy my house.

I want to be a shark expert... and looking at this diagram, I guess it's pretty obvious that I kind of already am.

11 comments:

Heather Dixon said...

I like the Soulless Evil part. Also I've decided to never step foot in the ocean again...

Zachary Forrest said...

Hooray! Shane's back! I was afraid that masked sharkman finally caught up to you, but I see you're able to fight another day!
Awesome pic!

Unknown said...

I always come here for the insights on sharks.

You havent been eaten yet so I think your on to something....

Marie said...

S.T.!!!!! I have been an admirer of yours for years - I'm looking for the cartoon of the Sailors wooing what they think is a "Mermaid" and can't find it - since I believe it's 2004 that's a helluva dig through archives - any help? :)

S.T. Lewis said...

Hey, stardust... if that is your real name. Here you go: http://stlewis.blogspot.com/2007/02/not-so-little-mermaid.html

That one happens to be one of my favorites. Enjoy! And thanks for being a long time "admirer."

Thanks to the rest of you for your comments too. I'm surprised anyone's even coming to this blog still. You're in very select company!

Unknown said...

Hi Shane,

welcome back! Funny though, that a guy living in utah focuses on sharks lately. What happened? A holiday ;o)
Just kiddin'. Just keep going with that great stuff.

Thx + Take care.
Michael

Marc's Corinthians said...

Love it! the 'bite of surfboard' is a personal highlight!

James Hoopes said...

Yes, your an expert!

Unknown said...

HILARIOUS!!! And by the way, you are one of my favorite character designers for cute looking Disney-esque animals.

Jim Rice said...

Earth to Lewis...come in Lewis. Hope you are OK. Missing your posts.

Unknown said...

Fantastic work! I could see this as a poster!