Monday, December 06, 2010

Toy Story 3: The Video Game

Way back in June, Toy Story 3: The Video Game was finally released. I had been working on it for a couple of years, but even after all that time and work, I forgot to mention its release on my blog... until now. Here are six of the 1,800 storyboards I did during the game's production... and that's not just an exaggerated number either. I still have all of them. Clearly these boards aren't in sequence, and some of them were never used for anything, but I wanted to share them anyway... because these are a few that I actually toned. Ah, wonderful grayscale!
I'm very pleased with the way this game turned out... especially after watching my nieces and nephews become addicted to it. The "Toy Box" area is especially fun. That's where you just run around an old Western town as Woody, Buzz, or Jessie, doing whatever you feel like doing. If you want to shoot Bullseye with a rocket blaster for ten minutes straight, no one's stopping you... unless you're my nephew. After ten minutes I stopped him, because enough's enough! I also wrote a lot of the dialogue for the game, so if Hamm sometimes sounds like he's reading my blog to you, that's why.
I did these three drawings for a commercial that we made for Sony. They wanted a video that would highlight Zurg as a playable character in the Play Station 3 version of the game, and they left the rest of it up to us. I thought it would be funny to show Zurg having the time of his life, laughing it up like a crazy person, while Woody and Buzz watched in uncomfortable silence. In the final version, Zurg walks over and hugs the two of them. It works a lot better that way than it did in the boards, so three cheers to whoever added that part.So, Christmas shoppers, if your kids like Toy Story, I expect them to like this game. And if your kids don't like Toy Story, you should probably ask yourself where you've gone wrong as a parent.

7 comments:

L. D. Torres said...

AMAZING!

I've just finished my first comic which was only 8 pages and I nearly died! I can't imagine 1,800!!!

I'll definitely be getting the game now, if not for any other reason than to hear the infamous Shane Lewis as Hamm.

Great perspective on the evil Dr. Porkchop cell! Def one of my favs!

Phill said...

heyyy nice boards, 1800 wow that's alot of boarding!

good stuff keep it up man (post more boards)!

Seth Hippen said...

Congrats on the game. I'm very happy to hear you like it. It's nice to have all the hard work pay off.

Heather said...

Yaaaay for Avalanche! The game turned out awesome. Considering how much time you guys had to spend away from home to work on it (I only know because of how many times I've been a 'Toy Story 3' or 'Epic Mickey' widow), I'm glad it paid off.

The storyboards you did are great!I only get Kev's perspective on the whole development process, so it's cool to see other aspects. And I'm definitely going to have to pay more attention to Hamm next time we play the game.

The Jorgensen's said...

Good call on the parenting. If your kids don't like Toy Story, move to Cuba or China, because only communists don't like Toy Story.

wookrage said...

Great Game! Congrats!

Titus Todd said...

Cool! We'll have to look into getting this one.