Friday, March 05, 2010

Mythological Jug Band

According to Wikipedia, the internet's leading source of mythological information, gryphons (which some people spell "griffins" and dumb people spell "grifunz") mate for life. What? I can think of one major ingredient that's missing from the theory that gryphons mate for life: "life." Don't you have to exist before you can enter into a lifelong relationship? Why are we assigning behavioral ettiquette to animals we've pretended into existence? I don't have an answer to this, but here's what I do know: if a gryphon finds your gym bag, he'll return it to you at his own expense, unicorns sneeze cake frosting, and flying pigs are offended by the mere thought of under-salted french fries. And when a gryphon gets together with a unicorn and a flying pig, you can count on three things: jug band music, rainbows, and a dessert buffet. (You may want to steer clear of the cake).

17 comments:

Lindy Rae said...

This is awesome. I also like the land where they live - with multiple rainbows.

Elise said...

You're missing dragons, of course. But I guess if they tried to blow into a jug they might as well use a jug of clay and cook it on the spot. I've heard dragons cry jelly beans, that could make for an interesting percussion.

Kris said...

You are good! Laughed out loud.

Anonymous said...

super cute, but why's the gryphon so grumpy? or is that his "i'm a serious bass player" face?

Dottie said...

yes, please! this was so funny!

Heather D. White said...

Life seems to take over and overwhelm me every now and again and I forget to check back here. I can't let that happen. Nothin' like StLewis to bring light and laughter back to life. That is reall corny...but whatever. This is classic. Needed a good giggle...can't wait to catch up on what I've missed!

Stacy Lesser said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyson Murphy said...

i love this with all my heart

Anonymous said...

I take offense to the idea that gryphons don't exist or that they do not mate for life. Santa Claus mated for life, and I have the proof of plastic figurines in every household in December!

Jeremy Thompson said...

first time commenter, but if this was on a shirt, I would buy it. Awesome.

Will Appledorn said...

how foolish of me to have thought you had gone through all the possible jugbands.

great stuff!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a good laugh. :)

Shaurya said...

Really good drawing.I want to learn from u many thngs and want to draw like u do.

Anonymous said...

i love this pic its my background and like i love mithology and like so this is a purr-fict pic for me

***Jeannye Yahya *** said...

Hello! is the first time I'm here on your blog!
Congratulations on your work! I loved the idea of seeing several species of animals (and humans) playing musical instruments! all great bands have formed and is super fun to imagine how their sound!
Mr Lewis, as an illustrator who can get in touch with disney to show your work? I live in Brazil, this is very difficult, I wonder how I would take someone with cntnato disney and show some work. Sorry if the question is too dumb! Kisses and congratulations your dash is unique!

Super Villain said...

awsome image, i like the griffin and the many rainbows, haha

M.R. Weaver said...

Triple rainbows all the way across the sky!
:weeps: