Monday, September 17, 2007

Truck Driver

Okay, no - not all truck drivers look like this... because some of them are women. That wasn't very nice, and I only say it because I'm tired of sitting behind truck drivers who pass each other going uphill on the freeway at half the speed limit. Just so you truckers know, though 32 miles an hour is wrecklessly fast in a school zone, it's probably not fast enough to require you to block the freeway's passing lane for ten minutes while you gently sneak by the guy who's going 30.

Driving a truck would be one of the worst jobs I can imagine. I experience plenty of road rage just driving to work... if driving was work, the rage would never subside. That giant mug is based on my own 64-ouncer that I used to fill with Cherry Coke at least once a day. I switched to water when I realized I was beginning to look like this gentleman.

14 comments:

Lindy Rae said...

Is he drowsy from driving, drinking his weight in soda, or smoking? Or all three?

We should get you a curly green straw for your mug.

Anonymous said...

spot on. the article, the drawing...yes, you stole the words right out of everyone's brains.

Ryan Wood said...

Heh, love the mug sittin' on the front porch. Nice work, man!

Richard Oud said...

Hahaha,love the blank expression on his face.. great one sir!

Adrian Lubbers said...

You should try living in Alberta. Who doesn't have a truck?!

Anonymous said...

hey! nice work here!!! I loved the mug on his big belly... it's just like that...haahah take a look at my blog and tell me watcha think about my crazy drawings ...
best

Karalenn Hippen said...

He's a beaut Shane!

Unknown said...

Damn your stuff is top notch! Very nie work, I love your characters and colouring.

Spencer said...

Bremen Rocks. Spencer Kerr

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love this. It is SO TRUE! It seems that especially on my way to Park City, there is ALWAYS a truck passing another one. Seriously......so annoying. K...my fave part of this entire drawing HAS to be the green swirly straw. LOL! That's hilarious. I love your attention to even the smallest details. :-)

LDahl said...

OMG it's my cousin Jerry!! :)
His wife is a truck driver too. (They own their tractors)I took my first trip with him early this summer. It was very interesting to see what he deals with from other drivers. People take horrible risks and the truckers are looking out for them more than you would know. It was a real eye-opener for me.
I love this illo and I know Jerry would love it too!

Nathan Lindsay said...

I want to be there when Jerry sees this.

...HA! I just noticed the box of cigs in his shirt sleeve! (unless its a deck of UNO cards just in case he pulls over and makes some new friends at the truck stop)

Kevin Keele said...

When I was a kid I wanted to be a truck driver. Now, like you, I can't imagine a worse job. However I recently came across a passage in my old journal where I learned that the actual vocation I aspired to was a "truck driver who fights monsters." Which would be cool, and which I think was inspired by Big Trouble in Little China. Anyway, very nice drawing.

The Jorgensen's said...

That happened to me just the other day and I said naughty words. Good thing Megan can't understand them yet, right?!