Saturday, October 28, 2006

New York City

When my wife and I returned home after a week in New York City, I wanted to summarize our entire trip with a single sketch. What should I draw? The Statue of Liberty? Too predictable. Times Square? Already been drawn a million times by artists far better than me. The $17 cheeseburger I ate? Seventeen dollars? I don't spend that much on shoes! In the end I decided to draw the handsome gentlewoman who sauntered by on 14-inch heels last Friday night in Grand Central Station. A thing of beauty... emphasis on "thing"... and scratch the "beauty."

How huge is Central Park? They can't put up a few signs in there along the countless, winding paths to help people find their way out? We wandered around that labyrinth for nearly two hours looking for an escape. I'd heard there were homeless people who live there. They're not homeless - they're just stuck.

We saw the Lion King... Broadway tickets are expensive. We could have bought upwards of three cheeseburgers each for what we spent to get into that show. It was good, though. The costumes were great. We also went to the Late Show with David Letterman... well, he met us there. And somehow we lucked into a show that had Brian Regan as one of the guests. He's hilarious... one of my favorite comedians ever. We also got to see the exact place where King Kong died after being shot down by airplanes... a moment of silence.

17 comments:

Josh said...

Give the Tom Arnold the respect he deserves. Didn't you see him at Letterman as well. Shauna really wants to go to New York. She is jealous.

Makenzie said...

I think that woman was really just a man or something like gross or something. I know they shouldn't do that though. If little kids saw a man wearing woman clothes uh-oh. They would probably do that huh. Guess what? We dressed up and went trick-or-treating at Disneyland. Well really California Adventure. Last night was my school's Halloween dance too. I like to dress up. So does that man I think.

GhettoFab said...

ahahaha
Everyday is an adventure with you! I so envy your storytelling abilities and the magic of being able to put it down graphically. You are the man!

MutantKitten said...

haha, I have witnessed characters similar to that over in Hollywood. I am jealous of your trip! :) I'd love to visit New York.

Heather D. White said...

Fun to see you pop in on my blog tonight Shane. This sketch is hilarious. Love it! $17, eh? Chas and really dig the Food Network...I know...we're geeks (don't tell Chas I told you....he'd be embarassed..LOL!). They had a special on hamburgers and there was a $65 hamburger that is served somewhere there in NYC...with truffles (which is what makes it so pricey). Can you imagine? Holy FREAK! I don't care HOW good that burger is. No way am I spending that much on a BURGER. Weird. So how WAS the $17 burger? WORTH the $17? I've never been to NYC, but I would definitely like to go at least once. If I do go though, I definitely want to be able to attend a few shows. So I guess I'd better start saving NOW, right? Very cool that you also went to the Late Show. David Letterman is by far my fave. Another thing I would like to do if I ever go to NYC. Good crud...sorry for the long comment. :-)

ken said...

hey man, ive not been able to stop by in a while! Lots of great updates, amazing characters as ever. And your blog still cracks me up hehe

Hope u enjoyed the big apple!

Heather D. White said...

Just showed your blog to my son Kaden. I told him that a friend of mine drew all of these pictures. He said, "You know HIM Mama?? WOW! He's like the best drawer in the universe." LOL! So there...from the mouths of babes! LOL! Fun looking through all of your drawings (the one of the dancing Pirates is my fave)...and the entry about your couch seriously had me LOL!

KEVSU said...

I like how you made his/her eyes pinkish...I like it when your drawings are scummy...and she is one scummy guy. Can you imagine the B.O. this guy had?

Jedora Rules said...

Enjoy traveling while you have no ninos. Fire and I have always wanted to go to the Big Apple.

Ryan Wood said...

Great stuff as usual, Shane. I love the story/sketch combo, hilarious!

flipstudios said...

this is so disturbing. i love it. and you said you couldn't draw scary. well i beg to differ. that thing would eat your cute monsters any day. imagine that showing up at your door tomorrow night. just give him the candy. all of it.

Adam Ford said...

Man Shane, you're recent stuff has spoken to me in a big way. I don't know if I am just messed up or what. I love this stuff. Fantastic job.

Tyler (characters N' sketches) said...

she is one sexy man!!! not quite


great piece of your vacation , thanks fo letting us all join in

Sebastien Gallego said...

That's awesome Shane!! Sooo creepy!! :)

Alikins said...

WOW! Sounds like quit an adventure! FUN STUFF!
AND Brian Regan is my ALL TIME favorite comedian!! YAY ;)

Taylor Krahenbuhl said...

wow, that was a definite lol moment for me, thanks Shane, great drawing.

Audrey Gayle said...

Are you SERIOUS>?!?!?!?!?!!!!!
!!!
!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow